- Works with chess engines (programs that play chess) that are
compatible with the xboard protocol (the majority of them).
- Supports the FICS protocol for Internet chess playing [FICS
itself is not a closed protocol and is always evolving, eboard does
its best to keep up with it]
- Reads and writes chess games in PGN (Portable Game Notation) format.
- The size of the board can be adjusted anytime by resizing the
- Faster promotion piece selection, without popups, the piece can
be selected several moves before the actual pawn promotion.
- User-selected piece bitmaps. The pieces themes are stored
in standard image formats like PNG, JPEG or TIFF, users can roll
their own pieces if they want. Several community-contributed piece
themes are available for download.
- Audio feedback: listen when you are challenged, when the opponent
makes his move, when other ICS players talks to you, when your opponent offers
a draw, when you're
running out of time.
- Multiple boards: analyze several games at once, watch several games at once
on FICS, watch other games while you play.
- Language support: English, Portuguese, Spanish, French, Italian, German,
Czech, Polish and Japanese.
- Input hardware support: enter moves and control eboard with the mouse, the keyboard,
a joystick or a DGT electronic chess board.
- Scroll-locking: ICS output only scrolls when you are reading the
most recent lines of output, allows you to read help files, tourney
tables and other extense output more easily.
- Text input separated from ICS output, you can always see what
you are typing.
- Input history similar to bash (up/down arrows move through the
- You can have as many console windows as you wish, with regular
expression matching to filter what is shown in each one.
- ICS output coloring makes ICS output easier to read.
- Highly configurable behavior: you can give each ICS channel its own
console (like in IRC clients) or see all channels in one console.
- Seek graph: shows ICS seek ads in a user-friendly clickable graph.
- Bughouse support: shows both your game and your partner's, and provides
quick buttons for usual partner talk like "++Q", "-Diag", "Sit".
- Works with timeseal. (you must download timeseal from FICS)